Question of the Month

Q: What is the difference between Stabilizer and Interfacing?


Interfacing is used in garment contruction to add stability and shape. Areas that are often interfaced are collars, cuffs, waistbands, necklines, facing and hems. Interfacing adds body to garments and helps keep them crisp. Interfacing comes in many different types : woven ,non-woven , knit. The different types can be either sewen in or fused depending on the where it is used in the garment and the amount of stability needed.

Stabilizers are used when doing decorative machine embroidery. Stabilizers are designed to support faabric under stress of dense or multi directional sewing. Stabilizer comes in 4 basic types :cut-away, tear-away, heat-away and wash-away. Stabilizer ofters more support to fabric then interfacing does.


You should not substitute stabilizer for interfacing or inferfacing for stabilizer. The success of your project can depend very much on choosing the right kind of stabilizer or interfacing.

View more

Promotions and Sales

View all

Carellan Sewing Video

Meet Our Staff



Bio: My journey into sewing began on a Singer treadle machine when I was nine years old living on my parents' farm. I have sewn everything from baby clothes, wedding dresses, men's suit jackets, home decor, and Halloween costumes for my two girls. I purchased my first pfaff in 1983

See all